There are so many ways of backing up once iPhone, most of the way always end up in disaster if not done correctly. There are a few ways that you will use and get your results successfully. Not only can you backup your iPhone with your iCloud you can also back it up without an iCloud account. Since the new iPhone was just released you are in so much luck because you see how to back up and restore to the new iPhone or to your existing phone. So in this article, I’ll take you on a journey on how to backup your iPhone with or without iCloud.
How to backup your iPhone with or without an iCloud
For starters, there are two ways to backup an iPhone we have the easy way and we have the hard way. The easy way is backing it up to your iCloud account while the hard way is backing it up to your computer. Most people do not know that you can back up your iPhone easily to your computer if you have one. So they normally go for backing it up to the iCloud every time which is easier. Backing it up to your computer requires a little patience and a lengthy process.
Of course, before we dive into this there are other ways that you can use in backing up your iPhone. You can also backup your iPhone to your Google Drive account though this is not as convenient as it is supposed to be. Another problem with backing up your iPhone to your Google drive is about retaining your privacy.
Backup your iPhone to iCloud
Backing up your iPhone to the iCloud is the easiest and most convenient way to backup your iPhone. This is because it makes switching devices is as easy as it gets. All you have to do to backup your iPhone to iCloud is follow the procedure below which is a very short one:
- On your iOS device tap on Settings.
- At the top where your name is displayed tap on it and then select iCloud.
- Now select iCloud backup.
- Finally, click on Back Up Now.
Once you have selected iCloud backup and clicked on the backup now button your device will begin to back up to the iCloud. Sometimes you will actually have to toggle on “iCloud backup” before you can use this feature.
Backup your iPhone to your desktop
Now here is where things will get a little bit complicated. But do not panic because I have carefully laid down the steps as easily as possible. All you have to do now is follow them exactly as I have listed them below:
- First things first, connect your iPhone to your computer using a good charging cable.
- If you are using Mac OS 10.14 or below then open iTunes, but if you are using Mac OS 10.15 and above use Finder.
- For those using finder open a finder window, this is done by clicking on the Finder icon in your dock or you can just select File and click on New Finder window in the top finder menu bar. Once the finder window is opened, look for your iPhone at the left side menu which is under “Locations.”
- If you are using iTunes then you will see a small iPhone icon in the upper left corner when you open it. Click on that iPhone icon. However, if you cannot find that iPhone icon then go to the iTunes menu and select Account, click on Authorization, and tap on Authorize This Computer… Now follow the instruction prompt.
From there on out the process is pretty much the same for both iTunes and finder. If you are doing this for the first time you will be asked if you want to “set your phone as a new device” or “restore it from a previous backup.” All you have to do here if it’s the first time is to select Select set up your phone as a new device.
- Select the General tab you will see on the top and then look for “backups”. If you are using iTunes select this computer, while if you are using Finder then select “Backup all of the data on your iPhone to your Mac.”
- Now tap on Encrypt iPhone backup in iTunes or select Encrypt local backup in finders Now choose a password you would not forget.
- If the backup does starts automatically click on Back up now.
Once that is done it will take some time for your device to be backed up to your computer. But note that you can set up the option for your device to automatically backup whenever you connect your phone to your computer. To do this look for Options which is just below backup and select Automatic sync when iPhone is connected.
How to Restore your device from a Backup on your Computer
If you have already backed up your device to your computer and you want to restore it back to your iPhone follow the procedure below it’s very easy.:
- First of all, connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Open Finder and then select your device in the finder sidebar.
- Now click on General.
- Click on a Restore backup.
- Finally, click on the backup you want to restore and then click on Restore.